Half Pig Custom Cut
Half Pig Custom Cut
$290 Basic Cut (estimated) + Curing
This is 75 lbs + of meat**, cut and packaged to your specification. A basic cut will cost you approx $290, but this may increase depending on how much further processing you require i.e. curing, sausagemaking etc..
Basic cut $290 (based on a 100 lb half carcass weight)
Plus: $1 per lb Curing, $1 per lb Slicing, $2.55 per lb Custom Sausage Making.
Click for an online copy of the cut sheet or visit any of our Farmers' Market stalls to pick one up.
**Our sides of pork are a minimum of 100 lbs each. Each order is cut entirely to your specification. There is no 'standard' cut. The weight of meat in the finished order depends entirely on how you have it cut, and which bits you choose to keep or discard. This is also the reason why we do not price on a per lb basis. (E.G. If you choose to keep the bones and fat, why should you pay the same price per lb as the more expensive cuts.)
How to Cook Berkshire Pork Products:
All of our pork cuts are relatively tender, but no matter what the cooking method, the meat must be cooked until the juices are no longer pink, and they run clear.
Pork is usually roasted until medium / well done - to an internal temperature of 72oC. Roast at 230oC or 450oF for the first 20 minutes, then for:
- Rolled boned joints - as above, then reduce temperature to 180oC or 375oF and cook for 30 minutes per lb, plus an extra 30 minutes.
- Crackling - this is the crispy skin on the roast cooked until it is crispy and delicious. Before cooking pat the skin dry, score it then rub it with oil and salt. Do not baste during cooking or it will not be crisp. Increase temperature again for last 20 minutes of cooking. Cook roasts with crackling uncovered for the whole cooking time.
- Roasting in a Crock Pot - first sear the joint in a frying pan to seal and brown on all sides. Then place in a crock pot, cover and cook slowly for several hours. The meat should fall apart when done. Note: you will not produce crackling in a crock pot.
Pork Chops & Steaks:
- Thin and medium cut chops: For succulent, tasty meat you can grill, BBQ or pan fry for 6 to 8 minutes each side.
- Thick cut chops: Grill, BBQ or pan fry for 8 to 10 minutes each side.
- Roasted thick cut chops: Sear in a fry pan on both sides, then roast at 180oC / 350oF for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stuffed Pork Chops: As an alternative - make a horizontal cut into the chop to create a pocket to contain a stuffing.
Back Ribs & Side Ribs:
Ribs are versatile and can be cooked several different ways. They can be cooked plain, or covered in a glaze or rib sauce of your choice. The best results are achieved by cooking low and slow - then just watch that meat fall of the bone.
Roasting: Cover and roast in a medium oven for approx 1 hour each side. Roast uncovered for last half hour.
Crock Pot: Cook slowly for 3 to 4 hours on the high setting.
BBQ: Cook at 120oC / 250oF maximum, for about 4 hours - turn them and spray to keep moist every hour. Alternatively roast for 1 hour each side, then finish on the BBQ.